6 June 2015

Magic Bus - back in New Zealand!

The 1976 World Quarter Ton champion, the Paul Whiting designed Magic Bus, arrived back in New Zealand in May 2015, after a one month journey by ship from Alameda, San Francisco.  Magic Bus was launched nearly 40 years ago, in February 1976, and left New Zealand later that year for the Quarter Ton Cup held in Corpus Christi, Texas. A dedicated team have now brought this famous yacht back for a full restoration, and you can follow their progress here. A feature on the TVNZ news on 15 September 2015 can also be viewed here.
Magic Bus during the 1976 South Pacific Quarter Ton championships on the Hauraki Gulf
Magic Bus as found in Alameda, San Francisco and looking somewhat the worse for wear (photo above and below - Magic Bus Facebook page)
Magic Bus emerges from the container on her arrival back in New Zealand, 9 May 2015
Recent work in progress - March 2017 above, and July 2017 below





1 comment:

  1. This was the most beautiful boat I had ever seen when I was growing up in the seventies and the design encouraged me to do designs of my own, one of which scored me 98% in sixth form. Paul Whiting was a legend and I have previously owned and sailed one of his smaller designs. I saw Magic bus in the viaduct yesterday. Magnificent shape, far ahead of anything of it's time.

    ReplyDelete